Do’s & Don’ts of Buying A Home
When it comes to purchasing a home, there are some things you should do, and some things you shouldn’t. Having these tips will allow you to get the most out of your experience while also allowing the process to run smoothly. Here’s a short list to keep you (and your realtor) happy.
- Get pre-qualified with a lender– this allows you to see what your budget for a home will be so your realtor can keep you within your price range.
- Find a real estate agent that matches your personality- and stay loyal to that agent. Working with multiple realtors only makes things more difficult for everyone.
- Do your research– whether that be for agencies, homes, or lenders, it’s important to know exactly what you want and qualify for. The more straightforward you can be, the better.
- Your agent will also have a list of local lenders for you to use. Take the recommendations seriously. Using a trusted and quality lender is key.
- Ask questions– make sure you know exactly what the process will entail. Have your agent lay everything out so you won’t be confused later on. Call The Gardner Home Team for help and to answer any questions!
- Do a walkthrough- before buying the home, make sure that you are comfortable purchasing the property as is and be sure to note anything that is wrong or needs fixing.
- Don’t buy anything with your credit after pre-qualifying- this causes your line of credit to adjust and may cause you to be disqualified from the lender.
- Don’t go into open houses without mentioning you have a realtor- it is important, not only for your realtor, but for you. Mentioning you are already working with someone ensures that the process keeps running smoothly and you are represented by someone you know you trust.
- Don’t look at too many houses- the process can already be overwhelming, especially for first time buyers, so keeping the number of homes you look at to a low number will be better for you in the long run.
- Don’t be shy about what you want- it is easier for your agent to find homes based on the qualities you are looking for instead of presenting you homes that they think you might like.
- Don’t assume your agent has control over 100% of your file- while they will be in contact with third parties checking on everything for you, after they turn the contract over they have no control over how long the rest of the process will take. Call The Gardner Home Team for advice!
Always remember that buying a home is different for everyone. Things that work for someone else might not work for you. When in doubt, just be open and honest with your realtor and they will make sure the process is as stress free as possible!
For additional information on the Do’s and Don’ts of purchasing a home, contact The Gardner Home Team at 918-430-8247.